Sign In
Navigate Up

Codes & Permits

​​​Thinking about doing some home renovations or construction project? If you're not sure where to begin, check out the information below.

Where can I purchase Codes and Standards? 

Codes and standards can be purchased through a number of resources, such as the provincial Learning Resources Centre, Canadian Standards Association, and the National Research Centre

Where can I find the STANDATA? 

The STANDATA are on Alberta Municipal Affairs' website, under codes and standards and divided by discipline. You can also search STANDATA for specific articles here

Where can I find out more about the Permit Regulation?

Information and a guidelines handbook to assist users with the permit regulation can be found on this page:
Permit Regulation and Guidelines.

When do you need a permit?

A variety of local bylaws and provincial regulations govern when you need a permit. This may also vary with the specific circumstances surrounding your project. It is always best to check with the authority having jurisdiction before starting any new work. These authorities will be either the local municipality or the province, or you may choose to ask one of the accredited agencies.

What type of work requires a permit?

The Safety Codes Act requires that all contractors and homeowners in Alberta obtain permits prior to commencing work on buildings covered by the Alberta Building Code or work governed by the Canadian Electrical Code, the Alberta Gas Code or the Alberta Plumbing Code.

Benefits of obtaining a permit

The major benefits of obtaining a permit are knowing that the installation will conform to the safety standards that have been adopted under the Safety Codes Act, and that inspection(s) will be provided by certified safety codes officers.

What services can I expect to receive for a permit?

Services that you can normally expect to receive include: a permit, plans examination (if applicable), inspection(s) by certified safety codes officers, inspection report(s), follow-up of deficiencies and/or unsafe conditions, technical advice, and a status report at the completion of the project.

Where can I get information about other kinds of permits?

For information regarding obtaining permits and licences required to start a business, please visit BizPaL, a free, online service. BizPaL is the result of a collaboration between the federal, provincial/territorial, regional, and local participating governments encouraging business growth.
BizPaL - online source for business permits and licences

Where can I get a permit?

Permits are available through municipalities that are accredited to administer the Safety Codes Act, and through agencies who provide inspection services on behalf of the province in non-accredited municipalities.
Find out where to purchase a permit in your area.

For information regarding the construction and operation of pressure equipment, contact the Alberta Boilers Safety Association.  Contact the Alberta Elevating Devices and Amusement Rides Safety Association regarding the construction and operation of elevators, ski-lifts and amusement rides. Information on permits, management of, and decommissioning petroleum tanks can be found at Petroleum Tank Management Association of Alberta

What is eSite? 

eSite stands for electronic Safety Information Tracking Environment. It is a user friendly information and work management system for issuing permits, and tracking, scheduling and assigning permit related activities. eSite is being offered to accredited municipalities and is being utilized by Municipal Affairs in non-accredited municipalities to promote uniformity and consistency in the administration of the safety system. To learn more about eSite, visit the eBS page under the Organizations tab. 

Where do I find the Alberta Fire Code 2006 Intent and Application statements? 

You can find the Intent and Application Statements on our Publications Page

I hav​e a question not listed

Call the Community and Technical Support Branch of Municipal Affairs at 1.866.421.6929 or email