Storage tank management services are administered by the Storage Tank System division of the Alberta Safety Codes Authority (ASCA). These services include:
- Permitting in areas unaccredited in Part 4 of the National Fire Code – 2019 Alberta Edition.
- Inspections of newly permitted flammable and combustible liquid storage tank system installations or alterations in unaccredited areas of the province.
- Routine and follow-up inspections of existing flammable and combustible liquid storage tank systems in unaccredited areas.
- Overseeing spill/incident reporting requirements for tank operators.
Municipalities that are accredited in Part 4 of the NFC(AE) will continue administering related permitting and inspections per their QMP.
- 19-FCB-007 – Permitting And Inspections of Storage Tank Systems within the Province of Alberta
- 19-FCI-018 – Certification of contractors for storage tank systems
- 19-FCI-015 – National Fire Code – 2019 Alberta Edition (NFC(AE)) storage tank system inspections and inventory control
- 19-FCI-013 – Use of containers, portable tanks and transportation tanks for the ongoing storage and dispensing of flammable liquids and combustible liquids
Storage Tank System Work Permit (Tank / piping installation; replacement; or alteration) $225 plus $60/tank
System removal permit: $225
Storage Tank Search: $20 per address
Annual operating permit: $69 / tank
1. Safety Codes Council levy applies to the Tank / piping installation and Tank / piping replacement of $12 / permit.
2. Safety Codes Council levy applies to the annual operating permit of $6 / tank.
3. Additional fees may be charged for non-compliance to permit terms.
Other miscellaneous fees can be found here.
*Fees effective January 1, 2022
Flammable and combustible liquid fuel tanks can be found across Alberta; at your local gas station, hospital, or mechanic’s shop. These tanks store a variety of chemicals, can be installed above-ground or underground, in all geographical areas and come in various shapes and sizes.
The Alberta Safety Codes Authority’s (ASCA) Storage Tank Systems Management is a division of the Safety Codes Council. One of ASCA’s duties is to oversee storage tank system compliance in unaccredited areas of the province. This compliance is verified through permitting and inspection, in accordance to nationally and provincially adopted safety codes.
Read more about on-site fuel tank safety here.