Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Frequently Asked Questions

Training and Certification

How do I renew my safety codes officer or Master Electrician certification?

If you are certified as a safety codes officer or a Master Electrician, you must renew your certification using our secure online system, Council Connect.

You may need to attach certain documents or report certain activities in order to renew. Ensure you are ready to renew by checking the requirements here.

How do I become a safety codes officer?

To be certified as a safety codes officer, an applicant must meet specific requirements for each discipline. Find out more about the requirements, as well as our training and certification process, here.

How do I become a Master Electrician?

In order to obtain Master Electrician certification, you must:

  • Hold a certificate as a Journeyman Electrician under the Apprenticeship and Industry Training Act.
  • Have worked as a Journeyman Electrician for 3 out of the last 5 years.
  • Pass the two-part Master Electrician exam administered by the Council, with an average grade of at least 75%, achieving no less than 60% on either part.

For more information about the Master Electrician exam, click here. For more information about out-of-province credentials, click here.

How do I report Continuing Education credits?

Safety codes officers can report their Continuing Education credits through Council Connect.

In 2019, the Council launched the Continuing Education program for Safety Codes Officers. Codes change, new technical information becomes available, and SCOs need to ensure that their expertise remains current.

For more information about Continuing Education for safety codes officers, click here.

Permits and Inspections

When do I need a permit?

A variety of local bylaws and provincial regulations govern when you need a permit. It is always best to check with the authority having jurisdiction before starting any new work.

To find out who the authority having jurisdiction is in your area, use our Where to get a permit tool.

I have a question about how code rules affect my project. Who do I ask?

For code-related questions, contact:

Community and Technical Support Branch, Municipal Affairs
1.866.421.6929  |

I have received an order issued by a safety codes officer. What can I do?

If you do not wish to comply with an order, you can formally contest it with the Safety Codes Council.

There are two ways to contest an order: a Review of an order, which is free and must be filed within 14 days after the day you were served with the order, and an Appeal of an order, which has a fee associated with it and must be filed within 35 days of the order being issued.

For more information, see Orders.

Who do I speak to about permits for petroleum storage tank systems?

If you live in an area that is accredited to administer services related to storage tank management, you will need to speak to your local municipality.

If you live in area that is not accredited to administer services related to storage tank management, you will need to speak to the Alberta Safety Codes Authority, Storage Tank Management division.

To find out who to contact, use our Where to get a permit tool.


What is accreditation?

The Safety Codes Council has the authority to accredit municipalities, agencies, and corporations to administer the Safety Codes Act. These accredited organizations monitor compliance through permitting and inspections across the province. Accredited organizations work in the following disciplines:

  • Building
  • Fire
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Gas
  • Elevators
  • Amusement Rides
  • Passenger Ropeways
  • Pressure Equipment

Whenever you apply for a permit or schedule an inspection, you contact an accredited organization.

Accredited organizations provide on-the-ground monitoring of compliance with safety codes. They employ safety codes officers to evaluate plans, issue permits, and perform inspections.

How does an organization become accredited?

Applying to be an accredited organization that administers the Safety Codes Act is a formal process. Certain information must be provided in order for the application to be considered.

Within the application process, an organization must develop a Quality Management Plan. The Quality Management Plan (QMP) is the terms and conditions of accreditation. The QMP describes the scope, operational requirements, and service delivery standards that will be met in the administration of an organization’s accreditation.

For more information about becoming accredited, click here.

How do I submit my organization's Annual Internal Review?

The Annual Internal Review is completed and submitted through an organization’s dashboard on Council Connect.

There is a separate AIR format for agencies, corporations, municipalities, and joint municipal accreditations. All accredited organizations must submit the AIR before March 31.

How do I update or otherwise modify my accreditation?

Accredited agencies, corporations, and municipalities obtain the approval of the Administrator of Accreditation to modify their accreditation. This includes Updating Accreditation, Modifying Accreditation (Name or Scope change), or Cancelling/Suspending Accreditation.

Applications to modify Accreditation must be submitted through Council Connect.


What is the Safety Codes Council?

The Council is an independent regulatory body made up of industry stakeholders and staff. We were formed in 1993 by the introduction of the Safety Codes Act to deliver programs on behalf of the government of Alberta.

For more information about the Council, click here.

What are safety codes sub-councils?

The Safety Codes Council works closely with Alberta Municipal Affairs to develop and administer each new edition of these codes. Through our discipline-specific sub-councils, we help represent industry perspectives in the safety codes system.

Sub-council members are volunteers nominated by organizations that represent Alberta’s industries and regions. Our members represent diverse specialties, including engineering, architecture, contracting, labour, municipal government, and education.

For more information about sub-councils, click here.

What acts, regulations, and documents govern Council business?