The Alberta Master Electrician Exam covers the current edition of the Canadian Electrical Code as well as related regulations and standards. This open book exam will test your knowledge of the following documents:
- 24th Edition of the 2018 Canadian Electrical Code Part 1
- Safety Codes Act 2017
- Safety Codes Act – Certification and Permit Regulation AR 193/2019
- Safety Codes Act – Permit Regulation 201/2017
- Safety Codes Act – Electrical Code Regulation AR 126/2015
- Safety Codes Act – Administrative Items Regulation AR 16/2004
- Apprenticeship & Industry Training Act – Electrician Trade Regulation AR 165/2017
- Apprenticeship & Industry Training Act – Apprenticeship Program Regulation 119/2018
- 2018 WCB Employer Handbook
- Occupational Health and Safety Act – Worksafe Employer’s Guide, 2018
- Electrical STANDATA
Each part of the exam can take up to 3.5 hours to complete. The cost to take the Master Electrician Exam is $200. Of this, $125 goes towards your first year of Master Electrician certification.
Do you need an exam kit?
You can now download the Master Electrician Exam Kit for free in PDF format. If you wish to order one in hard copy, you can do so via your Council Connect account under “Online Store.” The cost of a physical copy is $55 including the shipping fees.
Please note: Exam Kit DOES NOT include the Canadian Electrical Code. You will need to purchase the relevant edition separately.
In order to take your exam, you must submit proof of your qualifications for Master Electrician certification. The following should be provided via our online system, Council Connect:
- Your journeyman certificate: The Council accepts all equivalent journeyman credentials.
- Your detailed, technical work experience: in order to be eligible to write the exam, an applicant must have worked in the electrical industry under a valid trade certificate for three out of the last five years.
If you have not done business with the Council before, you will need to set up an account. Once you have an account, you can apply for certification through the My Applications tab on your Dashboard.
You must provide the above documentation at least 7 days before your scheduled exam date. If you do not, you may not be able to take your exam.
Prepare for your exam
An exam preparation course is an optional way to prepare for your exam. These courses are offered at the external institutes listed below.
Calgary – SAIT Polytechnic
Edmonton – NAIT
Fort McMurray – Keyano College
Grande Prairie – Grande Prairie Regional College
Lethbridge – Lethbridge College
Medicine Hat – Medicine Hat College
Red Deer – Red Deer College
Vermilion – Lakeland College
You will need to contact the institute directly to register. The Council does not offer its own course, and we do not produce study material or practice exams.
Out of Province credentials
If you have a Master Electrician certificate or an equivalent from another province, your process to become a certified Alberta Master Electrician may be different.
A passing grade
The Master Electrician Exam is taken in two parts. You will pass the exam if you achieve both of the following:
- A grade of at least 60% on both sections of the exam.
- An average grade of 75% between both sections of the exam.
If you pass the exam, we will automatically mail your Master Electrician card and certificate to the address we have on file.
If you do not pass the exam, you can rewrite the entire exam or the lowest graded section.