Continuing Education for Safety Codes Officers

In 2019, the Council launched the Continuing Education program for Safety Codes Officers. Codes change, new technical information becomes available, and SCOs need to ensure that their expertise remains current. The Continuing Education program ensures that upgrading relevant knowledge and skills is a priority for SCOs, which ultimately contributes to a more effective safety system in Alberta.

SCOs are responsible for selecting relevant activities to support their own continuing education goals that meet program requirements.

Did you know?

Upgrading your certification level as an SCO counts towards your Continuing Education credits. These credits will automatically be uploaded to your account as you complete the courses.

Continuing Education is mandatory

Starting in 2021, SCOs who renew their certification will need to report 30 Continuing Education credits.

Quick Facts

  • Safety codes officers are required to report 30 continuing education credits every 3 years. Even if you hold multiple certifications, you still only need to report 30 credits.
  • Credits are reported using the simple equation of one credit per every hour of study, up to an allowable maximum. For more information about allowable maximums, see Gaining Credits.
  • Continuing education credits are reported through your Council Connect account. You can report credits as you complete them, or report them all at once.
  • SCO Continuing Education is designed to be flexible and allow SCOs to pursue education opportunities that are of interest to them.
  • Taking courses to attain a new level of certification, completing Code Update Training, and working as an SCO all apply for Continuing Education.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to provide copies of documents to show that I have completed a continuing education activity?

Yes, you should keep copies of certificates, emails, etc. that show you completed a learning activity with an outside institution as outside institutions will not send us proof that you completed courses. Council Connect will randomly select a percentage of submitted continuing education reports for review. All SCOs are eligible for selection. If selected, you will be asked to provide evidence of completed continuing education activities such as a certificate, confirmation letter, diploma, letter from a supervisor, or some other form of proof.

What if I change employment part-way through a three year reporting cycle?

If you change employment, we recommend that you request copies of any training documentation in the custody of your employer. Credits can be earned and reported whether the SCO is employed or not.

How do I request an exemption?

Sixty days before your certification is due to expire, you will receive an email reminder to renew your certification and upload your credits.  At that time, you may apply for an exemption by submitting an e-mail to outlining that you are requesting an exemption from the program and providing reasons for your request. One of our Program Advisors will contact you to evaluate your request.

Do I need to submit 30 credits per each of the disciplines/levels of certification?

You only need to report 30 credits in total regardless of how many disciplines you are certified in.

What if my training took me 30 minutes? Do I report half a credit?

The minimum amount of credits you can claim is one. Even if your training took you less than an hour, you can still report one full credit for it.