The Safety Codes Act requires that contractors and homeowners in Alberta obtain permits before beginning work on structures and systems covered under the Safety Codes Act. This work typically includes new constructions, installations, alterations, repairs, relocations, changes of use, demolitions, and removals.

Permit Information

Do I need a permit?

A variety of local bylaws and provincial regulations govern when you need a permit. Which permits you need may also vary with the specific circumstances surrounding your project. It is always best to check with your local municipality before starting any work.

Need help with the permitting and inspections process?

There are many resources available to help Albertans understand every part of the process.

Your local municipality or contracted agency
The accredited municipality or agency that issues your permit is available to help you fill out your application, determine what documentation is required, or schedule inspections as needed.

Safety codes officers
The safety codes officers employed by the accredited municipality or agency can provide code guidance and answer questions about how code rules impact your project.

Unsafe Conditions

If you are aware of an unsafe situation that requires immediate intervention, contact your local authority having jurisdiction.

Safety Services
Safety Services, a part of Alberta Municipal Affairs – Public Safety Division, can provide clarification on code rules. They can be reached at 1.866.421.6929/

The Safety Codes Council
The Council administers a number of programs related to the permitting and inspections. You can learn more by clicking the links below or contact us regarding any of the below programs.

In addition, we administer a complaints process to investigate complaints issued against safety codes officers, Master Electricians, and accredited organizations. For more information, click here.

Public Health Facilities Temporary Permits

Updated March 11, 2021

Ministerial Order (TCS:001/21) and Ministerial Order (TCS:003/20) allowed for suspension or modification of requirements under the Safety Codes Act in support of the pandemic response.

Permits issued under these orders continue to be valid, including those covered retroactively to the provincial state of public health emergencies declared on March 17, 2020 and November 24, 2020. Those facility sites that met the conditions of the order are in compliance with the Safety Codes Act and may remain with the modified conditions.

The flexibility provided under these Orders have been key to the risk-based approach on permits and inspections for temporary health facilities, such as converting restaurant drive-throughs into testing drive-throughs and hotels and convention centres into isolation or medical facilities.

As accredited municipalities are responsible for the administration of the Safety Codes Act in their jurisdiction, including the carrying out of its powers and duties under the Act, the optional modified permit form and guidelines available below may continue to be used or the accredited municipality may adapt the permit form to support local conditions.

For any technical inquires, please connect with Alberta Municipal Affairs:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-644-1010 (within Canada and the United States)
Toll free: 1-866-421-6929 (within Canada)