Report from our Sub-Councils: Q4 2022
Our sub-councils continue to discuss the issues of importance to Alberta’s safety codes system. Here’s the Sub-Council Report for Q4, 2022.
- Reviewed draft content for a proposed STANDATA regarding energy storage systems under CE Code Section 64.
- Moved to support issuance of the Shipping Containers STANDATA as a joint STANDATA, focused on addressing the use of shipping containers as buildings and when they would be subject to the building and fire codes.
- Moved to develop a code change request that closes the gap regarding support of Class 1 and Class 2 circuits in regards to non-metallic outer jacket cables.
- Submitted a code change proposal to CSA to address color coding of conductors.
- Moved to form a working group to review the next edition of the CSA B44 after it is published.
- Discussed the SCO Curriculum Modernization project and the potential to include QEI certification in Level 1 Elevator SCO requirements.
- Reviewed proposed changes to the National Building Code (Alberta Edition) and provided comments to Municipal Affairs for consideration for the next edition.
- Moved to support issuance of STANDATAs; Occupant Load, Engineer Authentication for the Qualification of Structural Steel Fabricators, and Elevator and Passenger-Elevating Devices
- Moved to form a working group to review alternative solutions being used in other jurisdictions and the alternative solution process being used in Alberta regarding small-scale distilleries, with participation from the craft distilling industry.
- Discussed changes to testing procedures for air conditioning efficiency and the impact this may have on the building code.
Electrical Utilities Sub-Council
- Moved to created two working groups to begin review of potential code changes to the next edition of the Alberta Electrical Utility Code.
- Discussed a request for input regarding the need for increased service sizes in new developments.
Private Sewage Sub-Council
- Discussed a request from the Private Sewage Disposal Systems Administrator to develop guidance on determining the qualifications of individuals to work on complex systems.
Pressure Equipment Sub-Council
- Received a presentation about hydrogen, including high-level information about replacing natural gas with hydrogen, storage options, permeability and leakage, compression, piping, embrittlement, and various Albertan initiatives.
- Review has begun of AB-513 and AB-526
- Provided input to ABSA on their Regulatory Information for Power Engineers seminar and educational opportunities in general.
Amusement Rides Sub-Council
- Discussed the Portable Rides Operators industry segment on the sub-council matrix.
- Received updates from AEDARSA about the amusement rides operating season.
- Review has begun of all current STANDATA for alignment to the upcoming National Fire Code (Alberta Edition) as well as any other updates that should be considered.
- Moved to support a language change to code clause 22.214.171.124. to align with current terminology.
- Moved to form a joint working group with BSC to review alternative solutions being used in other jurisdictions and the alternative solution process being used in Alberta regarding small-scale distilleries, with participation from the craft distilling industry.
- Moved to support adoption of the National Plumbing Code 2020 as written.
- Moved to support reissuance of several STANDATA with updates to align with the new edition of the National Plumbing Code and other updates.
- Reviewed the draft Shipping Containers STANDATA for issuance as a joint STANDATA that includes the plumbing discipline.
- Moved to support issuance of the Fuel Gas Pressure Piping in Plants STANDATA.
- Discussed the provisions regarding roof access to equipment in the building code and the gas code.
- The sub-council heard information about a CSA statement on the use of hydrogen in CSA-certified gas appliances.